Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Research: What kind of sync cord will work with my Canon?!

The question is in the title. Now to answer it...

I have had a set of studio lights for years now, but have yet to invest in a cord that will sync them to my digital camera. Silly, I know. So far, I have used them as hot lights (total waste of a strobe!) or had varied success with turning the flash on, blocking it from hitting my subject with my hand, and trying to direct it at the strobes to trigger them. Sometimes it syncs magically, sometimes I get a completely dark image. Inconsistent and inconvenient.

Now that I am re-photographing my collages, it is very important that I be able to use my lights. Using them as hot lights just isn't good enough - even shooting in raw and correcting for white-point, it seems like I can never really get a good white balance on images shot with hot lights (is this just me?) I want more control of my lights, and a true white in my images.

This week, I've been researching the best kind of sync cord to go with my outdated Canon Rebel. I've had trouble with it in the studio in the past - the Nikon hotshoe adapter/Canon combination seems to be very picky about which cord to use. Happily, while researching this week I found a universal, totally wireless option, and it won't break the bank. I'm psyched!

This is what I found: the Wein SSR Unichannel Pro-Sync kit. This kit consists of two pieces - an infrared trigger and sensor. The trigger connects via hotshoe on board the camera, and the sensor plugs into the back of one strobe. This sends an IR signal that triggers the strobe in perfect timing with the camera, and there are no cords to trip over! I'm about to place my order after I shop around to see if I can find a used one.


No comments:

Post a Comment