Sunday, February 21, 2010

Artist: Gilbert and George

So far, Griffin is the only one that has commented on my most recent post to the class blog. In his comment, he mentioned that my new work reminded him of Gilbert and George because of the new grid layout I'm using for my collages (see post below.) Tom introduced me to Gilbert and George a year or so ago, but Griffin's remark inspired me to take another look at their work.

Gilbert and George were first recognized for their Singing Sculpture - they dressed in suits covered with metallic powder, stood on a table, and sang outside, sometimes for a day at a time. They refer to themselves as "living sculpture" and refuse to disassociate art from their everyday lives. Pretty cool (and a little crazy, perhaps?)

When I think of Gilbert and George, their body of work The Pictures is what comes to mind. These are large-scale photoworks that often include the artists themselves, religious iconography, and what some would consider graphic or offensive imagery. These images are so complex and full of meaning that I think the grid becomes necessary for our ability to understand them. I would like the same to be true about my work. For now, I'm enjoying the visual similarities and differences, and trying to figure out what this stuff means! Check out a few of their pieces, as well as a portrait that I'm posting below.

Gilbert and George, England, 1980
118 3/4x119 1/3 inches

Gilbert and George, Life, from Death Hope Life Fear,
1984, 94 1/4x119 1/4 inches

Gilbert and George in their London home, 1987 (Photo: Derry Moore)

I also found this video about their Retrospective on Youtube. It will provide more information and a broader understanding of their work.


No comments:

Post a Comment