Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Idea Post: Escapism

Is escapism bad, or is it a healthy option for a single mother and her child?

Yes, this is my idea topic! I have been thinking about my collages a lot recently (especially because I am working on some of the biggest ones I've ever made for my upcoming meeting with Tom) and I can't help but think of them as a means of escape. Within the confines of a 2-dimensional image, I can play out any scenario my heart desires. I can climb out of the window, run away, eat my child, be tiny, be huge, be lazy, be ... whatever. So, all of this leads me to the question: Is it wrong for me to search for a means of escape, and does it make me less of a super-mom? That question leads to a million more, but I am going to try to stick to the one.

I LOVE being a mommy, even though it is the hardest job I've ever had. However, there are times when I do want to fantasize for a few seconds that I do not have this immense responsibility - at least not all to myself. So, I take these collages as my chance to play out that fantasy.
I struggle with this. I don't want people to think that I am looking for a way out or anything like that; I feel bad for even admitting that I look for an escape. But what if it isn't bad? I started researching this question, and I think I have come to the conclusion that it isn't. Maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better, but I can't help but believe that without an occasional break, we would all lose our minds.

"Retreating to fantasy helps people gather strength to face the real world. It keeps the spirit alive and kicking—and inspires us to confront our problems." - Ethan Gilsdorf from Is Escapism Bad for Us? No. In addition to this very comforting quote, I found the definition of escapism to be encouraging as well. Although escapism is largely considered to be a negative thing, it is also mostly thought of as escape to a technological otherworld, but I am immersing myself and Henry in a real, tactile activity. Through making these collages, I am not zoning Henry out while staring at a glowing screen, but rather involving him in a thought-provoking process, largely made of thinking of our relationship to each other.

Conclusion: I don't have to feel guilty for escaping through my work, especially when I'm taking Henry with me. The process is therapeutic and rejuvenating, and helps me to work through all of the rollercoaster thoughts and feelings that come along with single motherhood. Now, to think of a better word than "escape"...

No comments:

Post a Comment