Thursday, February 11, 2010

Research: GLUE!

In light of what happened with my collage before my last meeting with Tom (the glue wasn't flexible and it fell apart when I rolled it up), I thought types of glue would be a good thing to research this week. I mentioned in my post on the class blog that I may not be using glue anymore. However, nothing is certain at this point, so I want to know which kind would be best if I do decide to stick with a more permanent application of myself and Henry on the plane of my images.

Tom suggested checking out Gac by Golden. I searched the Golden website and found that a gel (basically acrylic paint minus the pigment) would likely be the best. The website says: "
Soft Gels - Thinner than GOLDEN Heavy Body Acrylic colors, Soft Gels are moderately pourable. Hold only slight peaks. The recommended acrylic to function as a glue for collaging. "

Through my own research, I stumbled upon Yes! Paste by Gane Brothers & Lane. This one sounds too good to be true. According to the Gane website, Yes! Paste is water soluble, non-toxic (very important for lots of reasons, but most importantly because of Henry), and dries clear and permanently flexible. The description even says "
It is slow-setting, allowing crafters to reposition and adjust their crafting materials. In addition, is is 100% acid free, making it perfect for archival work, such as scrapbooking. Clean-up is a breeze with Yes! Paste; simply dilute excess glue with warm water." It also claims that it will not wrinkle or curl even delicate materials. And, it's available at Michael's if not Plaza.

Armed with this information, I'm heading out to Plaza and Michael's later today or early tomorrow. It's time to tackle a new collage and (hopefully) head to my next meeting tear-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment