Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lecture: Hank Willis Thomas

Hank Willis Thomas' lecture this afternoon was difficult at times - particularly the short film Winter in America from which I'm posting stills below - but he was clever and his work was interesting/thought provoking overall.

Thomas' work commonly deals with issues of race, discrimination, and violence through unconventional methods. I was most moved and saddened by Winter in America - a stop-animation film depicting the last five minutes of his cousin's life before being murdered. In collaboration with another artist - Kambui Olujimi - Thomas used GIJoe action figures to re-create the scene of Songha Thomas Willis' tragic death. Of his decision to use toys for this work, Thomas said he hoped it would be a "goofy, disarming" way to comment on our desensitization to violence, particularly through our toy choice for young boys. He said "In child's play, death isn't concerning - you can always pick them back up."

Though their content is depressing, I find the photographs from Winter in America to be beautiful in their own way - through composition, color, and prevalence of gorgeous lens flares - so I'm posting them below. I'm also including a video interview with Hank Willis Thomas that I found online tonight. Definitely watch it; he's a smart guy and an interesting speaker.

Hank Willis Thomas in collaboration with Kambui Olujimi
Lawrence Watching, 2005, lightjet print
Hank Willis Thomas in collaboration with Kambui Olujimi
Down in the Snow, 2005, lightjet print

Hank Willis Thomas in collaboration with Kambui Olujimi
Here they Come, 2005, lightjet print




Unfortunately, I had to leave the lecture early to take a quiz in another class today, so I was not present when he showed Along the Way, a beautiful photo/video mosaic. I'm glad Arlie told me about it; it's interesting to see how his work seems to be taking a turn towards happier things. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment