Thursday, October 15, 2009

Research: Master Narratives

As I continued to read Single by Chance, Mothers by Choice: How Women are Choosing Parenthood Without Marriage and Creating the New American Family by Rosanna Hertz this week, I learned about the concept of what sociologists refer to as a "master narrative."

According to Hertz, "Master narratives describe something that may once have been real but which has, over time, grown beyond its original proportions to become both the stuff of legend and a powerful form of social control. Through repetition, master narratives insinuate themselves into the cultural fabric, even when the ideal is rarely seen in reality" (p. 54). The ideal American family, complete with mother, father, children, and white picket fence, fits the role of a master narrative very well. I do not know anyone that has a perfect family, regardless of the parents' marital status, though it seems to be something that we all strive for.

For me and Henry, the ideal seems unattainable, yet the more I hesitate at this threshold of fully embracing my role as single mother, the more I become aware of the social constructs around me, and the more I long to fit them. According to Hertz, this is not unusual. "Single mothers are not out to change the world. In fact, they work diligently on behalf of their children, patching together a life that resembles the so-called normal middle-class family. Like all mothers, they strive to raise an acceptable child and to organize an acceptable family life" (p. 55).

As I consider my situation both in terms of my work and everyday life, I am constantly reminded of a concept I learned as a child: creating a "new kind of normal." As young children, my older brother and I shared a bedroom for a couple of years, and every night we would listen to "Odyssey" - a Christian radio program we had on CD that told funny stories geared at children and filled with moral values. The one I remember most was about dealing with change, and finding normalcy and happiness in a new situation. This is a challenge we are all faced with from time to time, and for me right now it is proving to be a slow and difficult process. Though I may actually be the happiest I have ever been in some ways - I absolutely adore being a mother! - I struggle to feel "normal," however abstract and subjective that feeling may be.

In the collages I have been working on (and will post soon, I promise!), I think these feelings are definitely coming across. It is not difficult to think of how cutting and pasting is a metaphor for fitting in and feeling normal. The difficult part is finding the language to express these feelings, and I feel like I have been making progress in that area lately. I continue to feel a new surge of inspiration and excitement for this project, and I am looking forward to seeing it through the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment