Sunday, October 25, 2009

Artist: Clare Murray Adams

I started looking at Clare Murray Adams because I had heard of her collage work, but found myself more drawn to her fiber pieces. She considers herself to be primarily a fiber artist, but incorporates collage, found objects, and encaustic paints on the surfaces of her fabric works. In viewing her work I detected a lot of themes of femininity, fertility, and domesticity, but here is what she has to say in her artist statement:
"
My work is often related in theme to aspects of memory, family history, spirituality, gender, time and space. While the specific occasions of memory are often of a personal nature, the themes and imagery have a universal appeal. My goal in making art is to explore process while allowing intuition to have its say."
I think of her work as being more of an experimental approach to collage, whereas my collages have been very straightforward. I would like to be brave enough to draw/paint on them, but I'm not sure how that relates to my concept unless it looks childish, and I won't know how I feel about that until I do it. Anyway, see a few of Adams' fiber pieces below.

SoulDoll

Four Days in May

Ticklish

No comments:

Post a Comment