Thursday, October 8, 2009

Artist Lecture: Anders Ruhwald

Unfortunately, I did not find myself particularly inspired by the work of Anders Ruhwald. His lecture was dry and a bit hard to follow, and his work just did not appeal to me personally. In looking at his website, it seems that Ruhwald typically creates sculpture that represents everyday household items - like the chair and mirrors below - in less than typical materials, colors, and situations. While he does this with great skill and devotion, and I can admire him for that, I am not excited by his creations. However, I did find the starkness and contrast of his all black installations in all white rooms interesting (even beautiful for their graphic qualities as photographs.) I am including a few images from "If all man's objects were well designed, joy and harmony would emerge eternally triumphant" below, which are perfect examples of this work. I wish he had gone into more depth on this work, as I think I might have thought differently at the lecture if he had. Please see the images below.


No comments:

Post a Comment