Saturday, October 31, 2009

Video Self Critique

I think it is always a painful experience to watch myself on video; I can't even stand to hear my own voice on any kind of recording. Somehow, I don't think I'm alone in that feeling. However, watching my critique video was not as bad as I thought, and it was very helpful for absorbing and actually remembering what everyone had to say. In the nervous moment of crit, I have a hard time retaining and processing all of that information.

I noticed some nervous habits that I was not aware of (constant lip biting, for one), and in general I think my body language lacks confidence. I seemed small and defensive, leaning against the wall and crossing my arms a lot. I think that is particularly interesting given that there was no need for defensive behavior - the critique went better than I thought it would.

All in all, I think the process of recording and watching critique is very beneficial, and even though I dreaded it this time I will gladly do it again. I hope to work on controlling my nervous habits the next time around, and take more notes! If it had not been for the recording I think I would have missed a lot of useful advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment