Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Research: Child Art

During Griffin's midterm critique on Tuesday, Tom mentioned the term "Child Art." I was immediately curious as to whether this term applied to my work right now or not, so I did some research on the definition. The definition that I found right away was pretty narrow, as follows: "Child art is the drawings, paintings and other artistic works created by people under the age of 12. It is also referred to as 'children's art' or the 'art of children'. The term 'child art' also has a parallel and different usage in the world of contemporary fine art, where it refers to a sub-genre of artists who depict children in their works" (see article here).

I tried to find more information on this term, but what I found was mostly centered around art therapy in children that have been diagnosed with Autism or come from abusive homes. None of that applies to me.

Even though I could not find much information, this was not a waste. I still feel that I can confidently apply this term to my work - all of my images will contain Henry, and some may actually be manipulated by him - and any language that I can find to help describe what I am doing is helpful. Add this to the list of words I've been compiling for my project and it just might be taking shape...


No comments:

Post a Comment