Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Extra Post: Midterm Critique Response

Just for my own reference, I am posting my response to midterm critique here as well. It occurred to me that it won't be long before it will be buried under a bunch of other posts on the class blog, and I don't want to have to dig around to find it.

Marion Glass: Midterm Critique




I thought that my midterm critique went much better than I expected it to yesterday. I read a brief statement explaining the evolution of my work so far (you can find that statement here), and everyone seemed to respond to it pretty well. I was given a lot of useful advice, and Christina even offered up a word that I knew but had not yet thought of in terms of my work - facets. She said I appeared to be "fracturing" myself into multiple facets, and none of them were whole. I think that is an extremely effective explanation for how I feel at times - thanks Christina!

The most useful advice came from several people, and that was to present my collages as collage, and not as photographs. Up to this point I have been photographing my collages as I finish them, in the hope that it would make them more cohesive. It seems like everyone thinks that is completely unnecessary and would prefer to see the rough edges, which is actually a relief to me. I think I will enjoy the freedom of leaving my work open-ended and available for alteration at any time. Tom said that it was ridiculous for me to only allow myself a certain period of time before a piece is "finished" because I am a mom and that is almost impossible (which is so true). He suggested that I keep pasting more and more layers, tear stuff off and replace it with something new, and make the work more raw and real in general. He said that it needs to be me - my feelings - on the wall, and I couldn't agree more.

So, that's all. Thanks everyone for all of your helpful comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment