Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Research: Paper Types

After talking to Courtney I discovered that the cost of using the printers at Pollak is only $4/square foot. I think that will work out to be relatively affordable for my purposes, so this week I've been shopping around for rag paper. Below are a few options that I found.

Magiclee Torino Canvas Rag: a highly textured canvas-like paper. 100% cotton, satin surface, and claims to have high color accuracy. The long description on Calumet Photo sounds amazing, but I'm not sure how I feel about the heavy texture. I think I definitely want something that isn't smooth, but I may not want a canvas texture.


Moab Entrada Rag: An affordable option at $119 for a 24"x40' roll. Unfortunately this one has an exceptionally bright white surface and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Some good features include that it is dual-sided, waterproof, and 100% cotton.

Museo Silver Rag: Cheaper option at $149 for a 24"50' roll. Has a semi-gloss look (claims to be like fiber photo paper), is 100% cotton, and claims to have superior tonal range.

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin: Has a satin finish where color is printed, white remains matte. 100% white rag, smooth surface, with good surface variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment