Monday, March 29, 2010

Artist: Fred Tomaselli

Tom introduced me to Fred Tomaselli's work a few weeks ago in Alternative Processes and Techniques, and I immediately thought of how it related to my Senior Portfolio work through image making technique.

Fred Tomaselli is an American artist known for his unconventional methods and materials for creating his large mixed-media paintings/collages. Most of his works include unorthodox items suspended in resin on wood panels (see Hang Over below, made of pills in resin.)

Aside from the use of collage, our work seems to be related in that it is very personal. My collages speak about my life and feelings, and Tomaselli's depict his interests. Of his work, Tomaselli says "
I want people to get lost in the work. I want to seduce people into it and I want people to escape inside the world of the work. In that way the work is pre-Modernist. I throw all of my obsessions and loves into the work, and I try not to be too embarrassed about any of it. I love nature, I love gardening, I love watching birds, and all of that gets into the work. I just try to be true to who I am and make the work I want to see. I don’t have a radical agenda."

Please see a few of my favorites from Tomaselli below, and check out White Cube Gallery's Fred Tomaselli page here.

Fred Tomaselli, Study for Big Hummingbird, 2004
Mixed media, photo collage, acrylic, resin on wood panel

Fred Tomaselli, Hang Over, 2005
Leaves, pills, acrylic and resin on wood panel, 84x120 inches

Fred Tomaselli, Airborne Event, 2003
Mixed media, acrylic paint, resin on wood, 84x60x1 1/2 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment